Monday, May 5, 2008

FIRST PARTY!

Yulia was invited to her first party over the weekend. Of course, she almost didn't make it. Her friend had called my cell the night before (Saturday) and I didn't even retrieve the messages until the next day after church. The friend spoke only with Yulia and they hung up. I started questioning Yulia and she said there was a birthday party for this friend that day. Didn't know for whom, at what time, where or any important information. So, being the ever vigilant mom I am, I called the friend back and found out, in fact, it was a going-away party for a girl moving to China, and it was going to be at 3:00 that day at the park.

So, since this was such a big deal to Yulia we made a quick stop by Target for a gift. Yulia didn't really understand why she was getting a gift until she got to the party. There was one slight problem. Of course, PB continued on his 2 week vacation and I had 10 people coming to my house later that day for a church "small" group. PLUS, I'VE NEVER LEFT HER WITH STRANGERS! So, I told Yulia, "I may not leave you at this party. You may only get to stay a few minutes and then we'll have to leave." Of course, she didn't understand why. But, when I got there and met the parents and Yulia's wonderful 5th grade teacher was there, I felt safe leaving her. When I picked her up an hour later, she was ready to leave, but had a good time. All 5th grade girls. No boys invited. Quite funny!

Yulia continues to talk about Russia, her family there and the orphanage. It's amazing the deep discussions we can now have since her speech is getting better. And, we're able to have these deep conversations without her getting the least bit emotional, which leads us to believe she's just testing us to make sure we still want her. Oh, what a tangled web is weaved inside this 10 year old's head! Lord, please help us untangle it.

Soccer ends this week and on our quest to try every activity known to man(although we have set the goal at only one activity a week), she'll begin hip hop, literal dance and jazz in Jun. Watch out Dancing with the Stars!

Hope everyone has a good week,

1 comment:

Mittig family said...

I'll definitely be needing some videos of those dance lessons. I can see those dance parties now with KB leading the way! When are you coming back to town?