Thursday, December 13, 2007

NOTES TO SELF

#1 - Don't pay lots o' money to sit "front row Joe" at "The Nutcracker!" Yulia was bored after the first 30 minutes. Silly me to think this was a great idea to experience the Christmas season. After all, ballet has no dialogue, so I thought it would be a great idea. Ha!

Below is Yulia's favorite part of "The Nutcracker." Meeting Santa! Oh, another favorite part...she got to wear her Christmas dress!


#2 - Don't volunteer to be an angel during the church's live nativity scene when it's really cold. Did I mention the performance was outside? Did I mention the temperature was in the lower 30s with sleet falling? Did I mention I was harking the herald while standing on an uncovered platform without my head covered?

Paul and Yulia were shepherds. Instead of abiding in the fields, they were keeping a watch over their flocks while standing under the manger scene. At least their heads were kept dry.

Before we headed outside, this shepherd used his cell phone to participate in a conference call.

#3 - Good job getting the "Happy Birthday Jesus" message across to Yulia. We've been singing Happy Birthday Jesus to teach her the meaning of all this madness. I think she gets it for the most part now. Problem is with all our gifts under the tree, she thinks it's everyone's birthday. Happy Birthday Colyn, Jon, Debbie, etc. She looks really confused when I say, "No, it's Merry Christmas" to everyone. Just "Happy Birthday" to Jesus. Can't figure out why she's confused!!! Did I mention Kitty(Babushka's) birthday is Christmas Eve??? That adds to the confusion.

#4 - Be better prepared for snow days. We had ice this past Monday and school was cancelled. After watching two movies, addressing Christmas cards(I'll be mailing them soon), wrapping some gifts and working a puzzle, I wondered what we were going to do with the other 8-10 hours of the day until Pop got home.

#5 - Why did I agree to work 4 days a week? I'm tired.

#6 - Don't expect the 16 year-olds working at the YMCA to teach your 10 year old Russian born daughter to swim in 7 quick lessons! "What? You're telling me my athletic, water-loving child has to take the class again? Can't believe it. Did I mention I taught swimming lessons in the 1970s at the germ-infested Weatherford Municipal Pool? Back in the day, I could have taught her to swim in 5 quick(and cheaper) lessons! We just did things so much better back then. Yes, she'd probably be on the swim team if I had been teaching her!" Her teacher just looked at me and I could tell he was thinking, "Whatever lady. See you after the first of the year."

#7 - Silly me! Thinkings JCP would meet my photography needs. They did not. Problem is, we don't have a lot of options here in lovely Wentzville.

#8 - Maybe Paul and I will open a photography studio/swimming class business!

#9 - This adoption is one of the best things we've ever done. Also, one of the hardest. I told Colyn the other day I don't remember things being so hard when SHE was 10, but we're having a wild, hilarious time.

#10 - Looking forward to Christmas! We're probably going to drive to Texas Saturday and be at Kitty's house through Christmas night. Then we'll head to Debbie's house for the rest of the week. We'll get to see Colyn, but not Jon. He and Ashley are headed to New York for the holidays. Not sure how long we'll be able to stay. Paul may have to come back for work. If so, Yulia, Kozmo and I may drive back by ourselves.

#11 - It's hard to keep this blog updated on a weekly basis. If we don't meet again until 2008, have a Merry Christmas or a Happy Birthday! (Whatever the case may be.)


No comments: