Saturday, January 3, 2009

U-What????

In our never-ending efforts to increase Yulia's vocabulary, we introduced her to the word "U-Haul" on the way from Texas back to Missouri.

If you had told me I would be riding in, much less driving a U-Haul 12 hours from Texas to Missouri, I would have laughed in your face. But since I've married Paul Barry I've done a lot of things I never thought I would do.

So, we need to get some of Kitty's furniture to our Missouri abode. What better way than a U Haul??? Karen, "But, my love, don't they pay people to do those kinds of things?" Paul Barry, "Oh, my love, it will be an adventure." And it certainly was. We hit a small animal of some type only five minutes into the trip. I asked PB what is was and he simply responded, "Oh, probably a cat." We just kept on rolling. Yulia was amazed that there was no CD player, no electric locks and most importantly, a 4 foot jump-seat on which to place her buttocks. I was amazed that there was no cruise control! Even more amazed that the 16 foot tank wouldn't stop on a dime when I took a hard U-turn while exiting the freeway for a Sonic. I quickly learned the U-Haul WAS equipped with anti-lock brakes and received a quick lecture on safe driving of said vehicle.

A positive side of the road trip adventure was seeing the Christies, our great friends from Oklahomo City. Yes, you read that right.



Yulia showing her envious friends our "ride."


Anna


Katie. Not sure why I didn't get a picture of precious Ben, the baby.


We had a wonderful Christmas seeing our families, but it's great to be home. Yes, we really feel like Missouri is home now! Yulia was ready to get home to her "big" bed, her dog and her Wii.

3 comments:

kim said...

Wow. Glad you survived the journey and are home safely. Happy New Year... getting ready to root for those 'Horns on Monday.

Unknown said...

i'm glad you rented a u-haul because it meant that paul got to go to the cotton bowl and even though tech lost, it was still worth it!

michael

Unknown said...

Can't believe how Big Yulia is getting. I'm sure you both have your hands full. I'm totally exhaused after having my 2 little one's over for the night. I wasn't really sure which one she was on the court though. Paul, so glad you reminded me about your blog. We will definitely have to plan a trip to MO one of these days now that the diesel is getting a little cheaper. Loved looking at all the pictures. I don't remember that you ever skied or maybe we just never discussed it. Ed and I skied for 10 years and loved it. Loved hearing from you.