Sunday, February 10, 2008

BYE, BYE BUGSIE!!!

It was a sad, sad day, but we had to say "Bye, Bye Bugsie" last week. Apparently, once one has rammed their beloved auto into curb after curb, it becomes impossible(or very expensive, I should say) to balance said auto's tires. We had replaced Bugsie's tires right before moving to Missouri because unbalanced tires tend to rub raw on the insides. Well, after Yulia and I were stranded on Northbound 40/61 lastweek with another bad tire, Paul put his foot down. Again. But, this time I listened because it is very expensive to replace high performace tires.

Also, as many of you know, Paul's been after me to put aside my foreign car ways and experience the GM experience. Since GM is now responsible for most of our income since I'm working part-time, I thought perhaps I should listen. We chose the Pontiac Vibe which is made on the same assembly line as the Toyota something or another. It's main selling point is it was fairly cheap, reliable and gets EXTREMELY GOOD GAS MILEAGE. So, we took the plunge and we're now enjoying our white Pontiac Vibe. I must say I'm really liking it. Especially the satellite radio. Very nice to have all the cool stations. I am getting kinda tired of Disney Radio, though.



I do have many memories of Bugsie:
1. Probably the biggest one is Bugsie reminded me of Jon and Colyn. We had just purchased the Bug when Jon decided he wanted to move in with us while he went to high school in Bedford. I remember thinking perhaps the Bug hadn't been such a good choice when I went to pick up Jon and 2 of his 6 foot 6 friends and realized there was no leg room in the back seat!
Both of the kids learned to drive a stick with Bugsie. I remember Paul took them to a parking lot near our Bedford house and they had to practice starting and stopping on hills. (Also makes me have to get the tissues out)
2. Remember Paul and I seeing how fast we could get her up to, driving to Fredericksburg, for Valentines the first year. I remember a friend at work telling me, "You know, if you crash that car at that speed, you're a goner."
3. One weekend we paid to drive a few laps at the Texas Motor Speedway. Oh, that was fun! We paid twice(to some charity) so we could both drive. Well, when I saw how fast we could go around the speedway, I didn't want to do any driving. I was just holding on for dear life. I think we got up to 110 mph. That is very fast. Especially when all the other idiots at the speedway were following the rules to not speed past the pace car. Of course, Paul Barry wasn't following that rule.
4. Oh, for the number of tennis skirts that have set on and stuck to those leather seats. Yuk!
5. The number of Sonic drinks and Instant Breakfasts' that have spilled all over the leather seats, much to Paul Barry's dismay. Most of those spills while talking to my sister on the cell phone. (The Vibe doesn't have leather seats. You can get leather, but they're NOT HEATED! I don't think so!) For more information, see blog entitled, "It Really Is Cold Here"!
Please feel free to leave your Bugsie comments.
Salute, Bugsie!!!

2 comments:

Paige said...

I think my favorite memory of the bug was when we just had an ice storm and we took the bug out to eat Mexican food because you said the bug could handle the ice. Also I remember you driving over the speed bumps very quickly and saying that Paul Barry would disapprove. I will miss the silver bullet!!

Mittig family said...

I really don't have many memories of the bug because I was always pregnant, thus always had to drive myself as not to vomit in someone else's car...however, I saw a silver bug at Sonic and got really sad thinking about you not being here anymore. The silver bug will always mean Karen Barry to us! And of course, the silver bug in Maggie and Will's book of colors will always be Auntie Karen's silver bug! Gone but not forgotten as they say!