Thursday, February 21, 2008

News from Up North

Our home computer is still on the blitz, so that's why I haven't been blogging. Paul Barry has allowed me some time with his laptop. Of course, it's taken me an hour to figure out how to get the pictures downloaded. So, you're going to get several topics together. We're going a little stir crazy here. There is snow here almost on a weekly basis. Normally, it is nothing more than snow flurries. Sometimes a couple of inches of snow. But schools are closed today and tomorrow because of ice and snow. Ughhhh! Guess I'll try and make it to work and take Yulia with me. She's gone before and did a really good job of sitting still and watching DVDs. We've all been sick here. I finally went to the doctor today and I have bronchitis. I've put myself on vocal rest which is a joy for Paul and very confusing for Yulia.


It is so cold here. You know, in Texas we don't really need gloves and scarves. You do here. Almost everyday.
This picture was taken during our last big snow. Paul was out of town and Yulia decided she would shovel the driveway. (Don't know where she thought we were going) She did a really good job, except for the fact that she shoveled all the snow to the end of the drive, so we were unable to get out of the drive. Really very humorous!


These pictures were taken after the Hannah Montana Movie. Yulia insisted on wearing her HM gear and telling everyone at the movie, "I'm Hannah Montana." This child DOES NOT get embarrassed. Kinda scary. I will say it was one of the worst sound productions I've ever heard in a movie. You couldn't hear Hannah and the Jonas Brothers when they sang. They were outplayed by the band. Maybe this was on purpose, because the vocals aren't that great anyway. Sitting in this 83 minute production, I reminded myself that a year ago I did't even know or care who Hannah Montana was. Now, I'm sitting beside my child who's decked out in HM underwear, socks and hair. Scary!




I must update you all on the swimming lesson fiasco. Really, dont' get me started, but just suffice it to say that neither semi-private nor private swimming lessons are meeting my needs. Nor have they taught my athletic daughter how to swim. Is it just me, or do people just not care anymore? I told PB, when I taught swimming lessons, I had a step by step plan with goals to meet in order to graduate from the class. In my 20 year absence from the swimming field, apparently there have been some changes. Our 19ish year old instructor seems to be more interested in flirting with the other lifeguards than teaching my child. Ask him for goals and he looks at you like you're speaking Chinese! I'm sure this is just the beginning of my rude awakening, but I can't stand the incompetence. Alright, I'm done for now.

For those who care, the V-Day craft was a success. I'll soon be opening Karen's Krafts and Swimming Instruction. I'm going to be very busy with all my new ventures.

On another note, per the social worker's request, we've been trying to encourage Yulia to speak more Russian. She doesn't care to. We left her with a Russian speaking babysitter last week and she wouldn't speak Russian with her. The doctor I saw today grew up about 300 miles from where Yulia was born and tried to talk with her in Russian today. She answered him in English. When I ask her why she says, "Mom, you speak English. Pop speaks English. I speak English."

Will close for now. I think these anti biotics are hindering my ability to write in a humorous manner.

3 comments:

Mittig family said...

I completely disagree with your last statement-I loved reading the whole blog and found it all very humorous indeed! Sorry you've been sick-yuck. And as for the snow...we've been really enjoying our 75 degree weather--come back!

kim said...

Zach had a swim team coach two years ago who was a student at A&M and coached swim team in the summer. One swim meet he showed up with a hangover and was so sick he had to leave the meet before it got started! It makes me crazy too... a total lack of responsibility. The bad thing is you are paying for it!

I loved the Hannah Montana pics and our weather has been beautiful! :) Anna is very disappointed we are not getting snow this year!

Tracy said...

The Hannah Montana pictures are priceless :). Sorry you're still having computer problems:(.